Moving to a new home is a significant life change and can be a bit of a challenge, and it certainly doesn’t come without its own stress. Whether you plan on moving across the state or just to the next suburb, you should be aware that your move will need a lot of preparation if you want it to go smoothly.
Professional moving companies, however, will be of amazing help in this process including taking care of the heavy lifting and transport for everything you plan on moving. In many cases, you can also have them pack and unpack your belongings for you.
You may not be able to move mountains, but you can plan an organised move. Here are a few reminders to help you prepare for your move:
- You should remember that professional movers follow a certain set of rules they must obey. A lot of companies have a good list of items they simply cannot and will not transport, mostly because of the inherent safety issues. Paints, liquids, perishables and chemicals are all in that list. The same goes for documentation, pets, cash and other items, but because of the possible liability issues.
- Before you get on with moving day, you should consider whether you want to have the movers deal with the packing and unpacking of your belongings. If you do it yourself, then make sure you have plenty of padding materials such as bubble wrap or butchers paper. You should have those because movers will not be responsible for any breakages during transport if you packed things wrong. Make sure you label everything with the room it has to go in, the contents and your name so you can unpack with greater ease.
- Once you have everything packed, make sure you sort boxes according to their weight and size so they can be moved faster. Make sure you never pile things on heavy furniture that needs to go first. Also, keep the boxes away from doorways so they won’t obstruct people walking through them.
- Regardless of the insurance services your chosen moving company provides, you should still make sure your belongings are properly protected and insured. Accidents can happen despite the best of efforts of both you and the company you hired. Stay secure by insuring things for their full value. Remember, saving money on moving insurance is not the smartest idea because if your belongings get damaged, it could end up costing you a lot of money.
- When it comes to insurance, most companies often have two types: Limited and Comprehensive. Limited insurance will be cheaper but it won’t cover quite as much. On the other hand, comprehensive insurance will cover the entire value of your items, but the insurance itself will be more expensive than the other choice.
- Another thing to keep in mind is that professional movers also have some pretty packed schedule. This is very true during the hot summer months, as it is the time when people change their residence most often. They don’t have much time to rest or grab a drink during a hot and busy day, so you can be of great help to them with a bit of refreshment on hand, such as some power bars or bottles of water. They will thank you for it later when the job is done and they’ll be able to get things done faster too.
Heather Roberts is a content writer from London, UK. She has great flair for decoration and interior design. She is searching for new challenges and hence often moves to different places. Heather writes on behalf of: http://www.handymoves.co.uk/west-london/removals-chiswick-w4-manandvan.html